Bybee Stone Company procures Indiana limestone locally from quarries productive for more than 100 years. Limestone, within the Oolitic deposit region, is as much a way of life and source of community pride as it is a building material.
The natural beauty of limestone is revealed as skilled craftspeople – often longtime employees of the company with multi-generational ties to the craft – shape it into pieces of our built environment that last for generations.
This durable character and aesthetic quality have been vital to the property value of stone buildings and their communities. As a contemporary green building tool, the physical properties of stone can provide a lasting and non-toxic material as well a temperature-stable environment.
As a building material, limestone has the qualities necessary for sustainable construction.
LOW CARBON LIFE-CYCLE FOOTPRINT
- Unlike other building materials, all of the work of refining and producing limestone has been done for us by the Earth.
- From quarrying to fabrication, Indiana limestone uses much less energy to produce a finished product than most other building materials.
- Exterior use reduces solar heat gain and reduces urban heat island effect.
- Interior use regulates temperature, increasing energy efficiency.
- Bybee Stone’s use of exclusively regional materials reduces our carbon footprint and supports local economies.
- The value of stone makes it attractive for reuse.
- The amount of particulates transported to the building site and developed in the installation are few. Also, a completed structure requires little maintenance, involving fewer chemical cleaners.