Oregon State University in Corvallis, Ore., was founded in 1868 and is the state’s largest public research university. It ranks fourth among universities nationwide for its use of renewable energy.
Education Hall, built in 1902, was scheduled for demolition in 2002. It had undergone multiple renovations and was damaged in a fire in its century of service when, on the occasion of its 100th anniversary, an effort was launched to save it. The historic building reopened in 2012 after receiving a seismic renovation consisting of a new foundation and replacement of its original sandstone with limestone which, according to the architect, will provide a more seismically stable exterior.
The project is LEED certified-equivalent, the renovation nearly waste-free.